Patrimoine culturel

LES FORGES DES SALLES

Located south of LakeGuerlédan, in the forest of Quénécan, a few kilometres from the Abbey of Bon Repos, and close to the towns of Pontivy, Rostrenen and Mur de Bretagne, Forges des Salles, intact since the end of production in 1877, is the best example of costarmoricain Industrial Heritage. Classified as an historic monument since 1980, the site of the Forges des Salles is a testimony to working life in the iron and steel industry in the 18th and 19th centuries. Since 1990, the former, exceptionally well preserved, steel village can be visited with or without a guide: industrial installations, the house of the master of ironworks, workmen 's and foremen' s quarters, canteen, school, chapel, terraced gardens, nothing has changed since the blast furnace stopped in 1877. Many rooms have been renovated in the old style according to their original function. A video revives the various trades of the forge: coal miners, miners, iron workers. Today the forge is silent, leaving room for the songs of the birds and the rustle of the wind in the trees. It has not always been so ... A walk around the village will allow you to live, hear and feel how it was in the nineteenth century. Guided or unguided visits every weekend in April, May, June and September and every day in July and August from 2 pm to 6:30 pm