Château de Pontivy56300 PONTIVYFRANCE
Located at the northern end of the old town, Pontivy's castle was built from the middle of the 15th century to the beginning of the 16th century for the viscounts of Rohan, It is one of the last castles built in Brittany. It is characteristic of Breton military architecture of the end of the 15th century. Most of the construction was done on the initiative of John II of Rohan called the "Grand Vicomte". Pontivy having become, in 1396, the capital of the viscount of Rohan, John II needed a castle worthy of his rank.
Following bad weather during the winter of 2013, part of the south wall of the castle collapsed weakening, in its fall, the adjoining tower. Conservationists, architects and craftsmen are currently working to assess the magnitude of the problem and consider restoration. In order to ensure the safety of the visitors, the castle is temporarily closed. There is a call for donations by the municipality to anyone wishing to help with reconstruction.
Opening periods: Open all year
Opening periods : Open all year