Quénécan56480 STE BRIGITTEFRANCE
Located to the south of Lake Guerlédan, in the Quénécan forest, a few kilometres from Bon Repos Abbey, and close to the towns of Pontivy, Rostrenen and Mur de Bretagne, the Forges des Salles, intact since the end of producton in 1877, constitutes the finest example of the costarmorican industrial heritage.
Classified in the Supplementary Inventory of Historic Monuments since 1980, the site of Les Forges des Salles is a testimony to the workers' life in the steel industry in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Since 1990, the former, exceptionally well-preserved, iron-working village has been open to visitors with or without a guide:
Industrial installations, forge master's house, housing for workmen and foremen, canteen, school, chapel, terraced gardens, nothing has changed since the blast furnace was shut down in 1877.
Many rooms have been remodelled according to their original function.
A video brings new life to the various trades of the forge: coalmen, miners, iron men.
Today the forge has been silenced, leaving room for the songs of birds and the rustling of the wind in the trees. It has not always been so ... A walk around village will allow you to live, hear and feel this beautiful adventure of the nineteenth century.
Prices: Adult 6 € Children (over 10 years old) and students 4 € Children (under 10 years old) Free. Groups: 5 € per person from 20 people, by reservation.